Tuesday, March 22, 2011

One Sided FRIENDSHIP...

I still remember the day when I first got to know about him. It was in a tuition class when I first heard and confused his name with another classmate for he wasn’t my schoolmate and I had never heard of him before.
And then one day we met at the same tuition, the maths tuition and got to know each other and eventually became friends. I had been a part of St. Edwards Shimla all throughout and he had changed many schools since childhood even after being in the city. And so yet again after 10th, he switched from DAV to Edwards i.e. “my school” and became an "Edwardian" :D but opted for commerce when i had science with yet again only maths being our connection. Again the same tuition, and to make things better, the same school :D
Within no time we became the best of friends. No common friend, no common interest and totally different streams still my best friend he became and took over all other friendships i had had. My friends were jealous of him, but I did not care. All I started caring about was US and our friendship, for that is what meant the world to me then. We became a famous duo, famous among friends, teachers and more. All sorts of things we did together; hanging out for hour’s together, study-cum-fun sessions, mocking at people in public, bike race, cricket; but the one thing we did not do is what in a dude’s language is called “bird watching”. Yes, we’ve done everything under the sun together but this. Also it was very rare that we talked about it. I did not know the girls he stalked and he didn’t know mine in fact called me a gay which of course i felt extremely bad about. But then it wasn’t too big a deal so i ignored for he and our friendship meant more to me. Those insulting statements in the face in public which i laughed away taking them to be a joke and although they were embarrassing, I knew he can never mean them (guys hardly think so much about being insulted though). I fought for him with other friends of mine and did everything it took to defend him every time in whatever way possible. Nothing against him I could hear, even from the greatest of friends I had. And i had always thought he was the same too (but now I realise how dumb I am and how easily I get carried away).
Being in different streams, it was obvious that we couldn’t have been together after school and so we had to part. Both of us were equally sad because firstly, both of us being extremely attached to our families did not like the fact that we had to leave home and secondly we’d not get to cherish each other’s company anymore. I yet again ended up being a part of an all boy’s college and he got through one of the most prestigious colleges of India. I was extremely happy for him. But then as time passed by, it took its toll and our lives changed to an unimaginable extent. But even after that, for him, I have always tried to be the same. I would do every little thing to help him out, in studies, in personal issues and more. And for this, I did not want anything in return because I love doing things for him.
But to my surprise, I did get something; something called “disappointment” at every step. Disappointment due to- Weird attitude, loads of lies and cooked up stories to hear! There were times i wanted support, i wanted a friend and he was nowhere to be found. And in case, we talked about my problem, all he would do is try to get away with it. It’s as if an imaginary best friend I now have. Is this what comes off friendships you cherish the most? After so many attempts I have made already with so many things that have already happened, what more can I do to hold onto it further? And should I really do something to keep it going? I do not know where this’ll lead to! Has this friendship come to an end? I still hope not! :(
It’s weird how people plan lifetime relationship (love or friendship) and some of them fail to maintain it and it ends up being a “one sided relationship”!
The above mentioned story was just an example of such a “friendship”!

No comments:

Post a Comment