Friday, November 11, 2011

The Speaking Tree


Spending his days under my shade, he became my family and friend

I reside at the border dividing into countries, the same piece of land

Witnessing for ages, the war between countries, war between religions

I started shielding him from feud; I shed my leaves and endured pains


He, an orphan Hindu boy in the Muslim realm, and I, a mere tree

We played and he scrambled my twigs and danced around me

Dampened my roots and hugged me tight and cared like a baby

And my leaves got greener each time I saw him happy


We shared a special bond, a real special connection

I, who had seen mere battles, for the first time “felt” affection

Been here for centuries but “lived” just the 4 years with him

During any combat, would hide him inside my hollow stem


We together, always managed to escape every terror

But one day, somehow perceived by a Paki who loomed with a dagger

Caught him, and he was dragged towards the border prison

And was tied around a pole and beaten up like a felon


My innocent little human chum was snatched from me

And I then refused to live further in a world like this

It wasn’t autumn yet but I did shed the rest of my leaves

Because that’s how I express anger, that’s how I weep!

No comments:

Post a Comment